Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Hello All


Welcome to this blog that I made to record things I do. It is a blog about dreams and fevers and names for nothing. I hope to post things I make for D&D and things I think about. 

Evan Dahm
Though I was introduced to the game with AD&D, I have had the most experience with 5e and run all my current games with it. I like the aesthetics of OSR systems and blogs. I take the ideas and methods which interest me and plug them into 5e the best I can. I imagine these new elements as hideous purple organs stitched into the flesh of a living human, pumping new fluids and new hormones into old veins.

Bound by Chris Mars, 2009

My creative process is just theft. I steal and then little by little I replace until the thing is mine. Unfortunately this process is like the ship of Theseus. I will give credit where its due. I think this whole business of making blog posts is a special art and a tricky one and I will do my best. I hope to be useful. 

 Right now, I am working a setting called the Meager Country and seeing a group of players and engineering students wrapped in the skin of players through it. It's based on 10th century Volga river and surrounding areas as seen through the eyes of Arab travelers but I love adding pieces to it inspired by other themes and other places and other times. In this campaign, the party is recovering a debt owed to their Sultan from some of the warring tribes of the Meager Country. I'm going to post the player-facing setting information along with the other changes and additions I made to character creation. After that, I'll post more about the monsters, people, and places of the Meager Country. 

I love strange objects and mythical emotions too. I like horror stories and folk tales. I read slowly because of how my brain works and because I was taught it was a smart thing to do. I like iron because the word sounds good in my mouth and I like mouths because they're a bit spooky. I have a weird aesthetic fascination with sickness and cannibalism which I think I picked up in the winter of 2014. I am inspired often by Straits of Anian and Against the Wicked City and Zedeck Siew's Writing Hours. There is some good honesty, which I think is the right foot to start with. I love mystery too but clarity must win out some time. 

I look forward to torturing the internet with my posts. However, I think this first post is still too dark.


So here's something more colourful from Alex Janvier. I look forward to learning more and making more mistakes and changing things.

This post is dedicated to St. Thekla, who did not make it into the new testament

1 comment: